Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Cyber Punk

Cyber punk is something that is pretty new to me, I hadn't really been involved in it before class and to be honest, don't think that ill be sticking around. I watched two different movies, Ghost in the shell by mistake, and then blade runner. Im actually very happy that I did this because even though I enjoyed ghost in the shell, I could not stand blade runner. I can't hold it against the movie its self, its outdated and not my taste. Noir films generally bore me and there all pretty predictable. It was interesting at times, and there were a few good moments but at as a whole, the noir thing really just shut me off for the most of it. The story line wasn't bad, but the clicheness of it was what ruined it. Ghost in the shell on the other hand, was interesting. Cyborgs are always an interesting subject if don't right and they were in this instance. The whole ideal of a artificial intelligence becoming self aware was a welcomed twist, and then it binding with a live (semi)biological (mind at least) was also new to me. True, at its heart ghost in the shell is also just another detective and cop story, but it was interesting, intriguing and you really didn't know what exact ally was going to happen next. I also enjoyed the way that the cyber part was handled in ghost in the shell better. In blade runner it get forced. True its an old movie, but allot of it seemed phony. Ghost in the shell however, it seemed pretty natural. There wasn't any time where it was trying to shove some cool space agae technology in your face to gawk at the special effects, if there was something cool and new, like say , the tank, it wasn't all in your face, it just interacted with the other characters like any other piece of doldrums machinery would. So in the end, if I can find some more ghost in the shell, or similar cyberpunk themed movies/books ill give the genera another try, but if all I can find is noir blade runner re dos? Ill have to pass it off to another person. 

No comments:

Post a Comment